SOUND CITY–REAL TO REEL, the companion album to the Dave Grohl-directed SOUND CITY feature length documentary premiering at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, is out today, Friday March 8th, through Sony Music Entertainment Australia. The DVD and Blu Ray of the documentary are also released today.
The official video for Mantra from the SOUND CITY album premiered this morning globally via RollingStone.com. Mantra features Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, & Trent Reznor.
SOUND CITY, the film, was conceived by Grohl after purchasing the legendary custom-built Neve 8028 recording console from Sound City Studios last year. The board, built in 1972, is considered by many to be the crown jewel of analog recording equipment, having recorded such artists as Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Johnny Cash, Guns and Roses, Metallica, NIN, Rage Against The Machine and countless other musical legends over the past 40 years.
SOUND CITY–REAL TO REEL is a brand new collection of all-new all-original songs, each one composed and recorded exclusively for the film within its own 24-hour session on that console after it was reinstalled in Grohl and his Foo Fighters’ own 606 Studios. The new tracks–featuring an amazing and idiosyncratic cast of collaborators including Paul McCartney, Grohl’s former Nirvana and current Foo Fighters bandmates, Stevie Nicks, Rick Springfield, Trent Reznor, Joshua Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick, Lee Ving of Fear, Corey Taylor of Slipknot, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford of Rage Against The Machine and more–passionately exemplify SOUND CITY‘s celebration of the human element of musicianship and recording in an increasingly digital world.
Following its Sundance 2013 premiere, SOUND CITY was released theatrically, in association with Variance Films, on February 1. Fans that missed these screenings can now purchase it on DVD & Blu Ray from today.
Grohl’s personal connection to Sound City began with the 1991 recording of Nirvana’s breakthrough album, NEVERMIND. Selling over 30 million copies worldwide, NEVERMIND changed the entire musical landscape and forever altered the course of Dave Grohl’s life.
Roswell Films, a division of the Roswell Records label that releases Foo Fighters music, will distribute the film. Key personnel involved with the film include Producer/Director Dave Grohl; Editor Paul Crowder (Dogtown & Z Boys, Once In a Lifetime, Riding Giants); and Writer Mark Monroe (The Cove, Once In a Lifetime, The Tillman Story). The film is also being produced in conjunction with Jim Rota, John Ramsay, and Therapy studios.
SOUND CITY–REAL TO REAL TRACK LISTING AND CREDITS
1. Heaven And All – Robert Levon Been, Dave Grohl and Peter Hayes
2. Time Slowing Down – Chris Goss, Tim Commerford, Dave Grohl and Brad Wilk
3. You Can’t Fix This – Stevie Nicks, Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins
4. The Man That Never Was – Rick Springfield, Matt Bissonette, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Chris Shiflett and Pat Smear
5. Your Wife Is Calling – Lee Ving, Dave Grohl, and Taylor Hawkins
6. From Can To Can’t – Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen and Scott Reeder
7. Centipede – Joshua Homme, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl and Alain Johannes
8. A Trick With No Sleeve – Alain Johannes and Dave Grohl
9. Cut Me Some Slack – Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear
10. If I Were Me – Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Rami Jaffee and Jim Keltner
11. Mantra – Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme and Trent Reznor